Students will be selected on merit, taking into account the criteria of the scholarships, the education standard of 10th or 11th grade students in Barbados and the attributes required for a student to succeed in UWC. As in UWC selections throughout the world, the selection process will have various elements, including written applications, group work, and interviews. The aim will be to assess each applicant’s all-round ability in the context of their background and potential to make the most of a UWC opportunity to be the next generation of leaders in positive change upon their return to Barbados.
Successful applicants will receive a scholarship based on financial need. Preferences for geographical locations are not guaranteed. No application can be processed without parental or guardian consent.
All application forms are carefully read by a team of objective reviewers - they are all intimately familiar with the UWC movement and are looking for candidates with the potential to thrive in the unique environment of a United World College. Each application form is read by at least three reviewers and between them, they draw up a short-list of candidates to interview. Short-listed candidates will usually demonstrate a commitment to community service, personal initiative, and academic ability. Please do note that because of the high quality of applications we receive, some strong applications will not be able to be short-listed.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
The Individual Interview
This interview is approximately 20 mins long. The selection panel will be led by representatives of UWC Barbados and will be comprised of alumni and other invited participants who are knowledgeable about the UWC movement. In this interview, you will be interviewed by a group who will ask you questions about your application, your interests and what you hope to gain from a UWC experience. While the interview can feel nerve-wracking, we try to make it as informal and friendly as possible. Remember, we want to interview you, not your nerves, so do try to relax and enjoy the experience for what it is - a chance to meet lots of really interesting people from all over the country and find out more about the UWC movement.
Successful candidates are nominated to specific UWC schools and colleges. The schools and colleges generally accept the nominated candidates on the recommendation of the National Committee but reserve the right to make the final decision on every candidate.
Filling out the Application Form:
Applications are done through the online portal that can be accessed via our website at bb.uwc.org.
To fill in the application form:
- Ensure either your nationality or residency in Barbados to be eligible. The committee reserves the right to ask for further proof of residency and to reject any application that does not meet the residency requirement. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, do not hesitate to email us. You are only eligible to apply to ONE national committee at a time.
- Download the 2019-2020 application form below.
- You may submit an application by filling in the form below (either by typing or handwriting) and scanning and emailing the form and relevant documents. For any questions please email us at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: Application Deadline is January 20th 2020, all documentation must be submitted by this date in order for the applicant to be considered.
If you are unable to submit your application electronically you may submit an application by filling in the form below (either by typing or handwriting) and scanning and emailing the form. For any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: January 20, 2019
Please also note:
- An application is made to UWC and not to a particular school or college (although you may be asked to state your preference)
- Only one application can be made to UWC. You cannot apply through two different National Committees
- Applicants with disabilities who are self-sufficient in their everyday needs are encouraged to apply
- All information provided to the National Committee is held in the strictest confidence and is not shared with any third party. The National Committee maintains a database of student and parental contact information for the purpose of disseminating important notices, invitations, and alumni news.
The deadline for this year's application is January 20, 2019.